Saturday, January 8, 2011

What is Wrong With This World?

It has been a very disturbing and tragic week....to say the least. I was first horrified to learn of another school shooting, which occurred in Omaha, Nebraska, resulting in the death of an Assistant Principal. I have posted a link to the story here. How can a child be so emotionally wounded that he would feel the desire or need to hurt another human being and then take his own life? It seems as though the world is becoming more and more desensitized to reality. I don't know if people really understand the ultimate ramifications of their actions.

I was again stunned today as I witnessed the footage of the tragic shooting of an Arizona Congresswoman, which resulted in the death of six others. Representative Giffords is in critical condition after receiving a gunshot wound to the head. I have posted a link to the story here. The gunman has been apprehended, but again I have to ask why would he do something so terrible? I definitely do not agree with some politicians' views, but no one should ever be harmed for supporting something he or she believes in. Why do the actions of some people have to be so extreme and damaging? Even in my own job as a nurse practitioner, I witness people display such anger and desperation. I often feel afraid to go to work. People should NOT have to be afraid to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment