Friday, March 12, 2010

Show Us Your Life-Favorite Charities

I am participating in "Show Us Your Life" from Kelly's Corner

I do love philanthropy, however, I do not have a lot of extra time to actively volunteer for charities. I do contribute to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. I work with sick people everyday, but children have the greatest ability to trigger my emotions. Adult life is so filled with worries, stress and tragedy; Childhood should be reserved for complete happiness. St. Jude is a wonderful organization that helps save children's lives while easing the financial burden to parents. I wish I could do more to help this wonderful organization.


I am a member of the Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels and I do contribute to the Good Works program, which "provides financial support to Kentucky charitable and educational institutions and organizations".


I work as a family nurse practitioner in a rural, Eastern Kentucky clinic. Our clinic staff raises money and volunteers for Relay for Life and March of Dimes. One of our biggest fundraisers of the past year was the selling of cookbooks, which were created by our clinic staff. Some recipes were also submitted by patients.
We also hosted a Halloween Carnival for children in our community in effort to raise money for our charities. Along with myself, we have three employees, who are cancer survivors--so Relay for Life is very important to us. The American Cancer Society Relay for Life is an opportunity for community members to celebrate those who have survived cancer, remember lives lost to cancer, and raise money to find a cure for the disease.


March of Dimes is also an important charity for our clinic as one of our nurses is mother to a son, who was born prematurely. The organization promotes the health of babies by fighting to prevent "birth defects, premature birth, and infant mortality".



No comments:

Post a Comment